Valorizing Diversity and Inclusion: Practices Worth Promoting
Diversity and inclusion are important values in our workplace. More than ever, Gazifère is introducing initiatives that promote these objectives to reflect a fair community free of judgement. This is how we make the most of everyone’s talents. We are not shy about challenging outdated false notions while offering everyone the same chances so that all of our employees can achieve their full potential.
On the occasion of this International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, we offer a few suggestions of things you can easily do in your workplace to encourage these values.
- When in doubt, ask your co-worker how his or her name should be pronounced. Showing interest in pronouncing it properly is a sign of respect. Alternatively, you can ask employees to include instructions on how to pronounce their name in their e-mail signature block.
- Circulate articles about social themes within your team, and invite everyone to share their comments. You will be surprised by your co-workers’ eagerness to respond, and you will learn something about their experience. An inclusive workplace also means being ready to listen and create links that go beyond our differences.
- Organize training and awareness-raising activities. Training can open the door to explaining the employer’s expectations. Awareness-raising activities are excellent opportunities to engage people and valorize different points of view.
- Set up an inclusive committee to represent the different groups so that they will feel included and supported. Make the most of this working group, which can become a sounding board so that every employee can achieve their full potential.
- When recruiting, ask your HR contact to disseminate the poster among organizations that represent diversity. That will demonstrate your inclusive leadership through your hiring practices.
Go ahead, be an ambassador of diversity and inclusion in your environment. Reach out to other cultures, and valorize everyone’s experiences and differences to create a world where everyone feels included, appreciated and connected. Because together, we’re better!