Carbon monoxide poisoning…let’s talk about prevention at home!
Carbon monoxide poisoning can impair you, or even kill you. It’s in your power to prevent such irreparable harm. All you have to do is make sure that everyone in your family is aware of the risks so they will follow your lead and make your home a safe place. Talk to your children about the importance of leaving your carbon monoxide alarm connected and ensuring that the batteries are in place and working. You can use our animated clip to introduce the topic to your children, and watch it with them, and even your teens!
Carbon monoxide is odourless, colourless, tasteless and highly toxic. It is a by-product of incomplete combustion of fuels like wood, propane, heating oil, kerosene, gasoline, diesel, natural gas, coal or charcoal. An appliance that is not regularly cleaned and inspected may emit carbon monoxide into your home.
Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning may cause symptoms similar to those of a cold: headaches, nausea, fatigue, dizziness, drowsiness, burning eyes, confusion, disorientation or unconsciousness. Be very careful: in very severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal! If you and other occupants of the home experience symptoms, but feel better outdoors, CO or other pollutants present in your home may be the cause.
What to do if you experience these symptoms?
Evacuate the house and dial 9-1-1 at once. Seek immediate medical attention. Before returning to your house, have it inspected by a firefighter or a certified natural gas professional.
- Have appliances that burn natural gas (or any other fuel) cleaned and inspected regularly by a certified natural gas professional.
- Have flues and chimneys cleaned and inspected regularly.
- Have a carbon monoxide alarm installed to provide a warning. Remember that a smoke detector does not alert you to the presence of CO.
- Do not leave vehicles, snowblowers or lawnmowers running in a garage.
- Never use a charcoal or gas barbecue in your house.
- If your carbon monoxide alarm sounds, evacuate your home immediately and call 9-1-1.